Thursday, September 20, 2012

Interview Questions about Supply Chain Management

For this assignment, I decided to interview one of my dear friends Ramya Gudipati. Ramya has been a family friend for many years and definitely someone I look upto. Ramya went to Michigan State University and was a Supply Chain Major. She graduated in 2011 and works for Cap-Gemini in Chicago. Ramya was very active here at MSU and helped me alot with my research in Supply Chain Management. Here are some of the questions I plan on asking her about SCM and her experiences with the degree.


Q: What made you choose Supply Chain Management here at MSU out of all the other business majors?

A: I chose supply chain management for a couple of reasons. My primary reason was that it was a good program at MSU. My second reason was that it was a unique piece of business. its outside out of a regular business degree.  Lastly, I love to think logically and supply chain is all about that!


Q:  If you had to define Supply Chain Management in the simplest way, how would you describe it?

A: The simplest way to describe Supply Chain Management is following the tracking and designing the entire process of a product being made in from start to finish and also how the product is disposed.

Q: What aspect about Supply Chain Management interests you the most?

A: Network Designing- basically using different modes of transportation and how you can create the valuable and efficient way of moving a product.

Q: What kind of opportunities does a Supply Chain Management major present itself? jobs wise, internships wise, etc?

A: MSU recruits a lot of students for Supply Chain Management majors. A lot of students get internships their sophomore and junior years and a high percentage of student get great jobs right after graduation.

Q:  What kind of companies recruit Supply Chain majors?

A:  fortune 500 companies and consulting companies recruit supply chain majors

Q:  Why do you believe Supply Chain Management is the best major at MSU?

A: It's a highly ranked program at MSU
     

Q: What kind of classes did you have to take for a SCM major? What were the interesting classes and what did you learn from them?

A:  Three main classes for supply chain. operations, purchasing, and logistics. junior year. senior year- capstone course, business writing. 5 diff classes- negotiations, supply chain decision modeling. biggest thing learn is figuring out and who has power and how to manage your power. leverage that aspect. recognize your power, obtaining power, etc


Q. Apart from grades and internships, what kind of skills/abilities do you need to be a supply chain major and are these skills important to the companies you work in?

A: other than grades, you have to be able to push yourself, need to be self motivated, find purpose with what your doing and a sense of passion. Be a go-getter and need to be able to talk to people and deal with people.


 Q: Did you know a lot about Supply Chain Management when you were a freshman/sophomore? If not, how did you learn about the major?

A:  My freshman year, I didn't know much about supply chain management. I set up meetings with professors and counselors and talked to upperclassmen. I joined various clubs and organizations and only then did I know that supply chain management was the right major


Q: What kinds of management are involved in Supply Chain Management? And how are they apart of Supply Chain?

A: Operation Management- Keeping up with the daily operations and maintaining them at the optimum value, overseeing and managing different operations, balancing your execution, and managing your team.


 Q: Does Supply Chain majors have opportunities to work in companies across the world?

 A: It's what they do. The next 20 years logistics will be growing fast and doing international business.

 Q: Were you involved in any Supply Chain clubs at MSU?

 A: Yes I was. I was apart of MSU Supply Chain Management Association

 Q: What do you exactly do at Cap-Gemini? Whats your job description?

 A: I am an entry level consultant. I respond with technologies. I implant technologies with fortune 500 companies.


Professors she suggested for me to talk to - John McDonald. SCM 373.
 London study abroad- Shred Talluri  Masters PhD.
                                   
                                     
                                     



                                 


4 comments:

  1. These questions and answers about Supply Chain Management were very interesting. I never knew there was so much to this career and how much it was involved with Michigan State University. It is very interesting to learn about from a personal perspective and first hand. The fact that you got a first hand interview/experience with someone from Michigan State is very nice. I am going to continue to follow up on your blog about Supply chain management to see how much more there is to learn about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this interview. You asked the questions that needed to be asked, and it felt like a conversation to me because it flowed well. It got me very interested in SCM just reading through this post. It must have been a more comfortable experience interviewing someone that you were already close with. This probably made both the questions and the answers feel more natural.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its very useful... it made up a clear vision about scm ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very useful and clear explanation. I am a SCM graduate and I don't know the importance of it. But now I realized and start to make a career in SCM

    ReplyDelete